Sunday, July 25, 2010

You say Tomato, I say Tomater -- Fried Green Tomatoes

Here are a few things that fried green tomatoes make me think of:
# 1. The movie, of course. A very good movie, one of the few I’ve watched several times. I love Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes. Towanda!!

# 2. The book, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café, by Fannie Flagg, from which the movie was adapted. Fannie Flagg has a way of making her characters real to us and of bringing her readers into a southerner state of mind.

and # 3. The fried green tomatoes I fixed for a late dinner last night. Oh my goodness, they were goo-ood. I felt quite southern myself. Even now I have the urge to say something like ‘Why shut my mouth.’
There’s a lot to like about summer, and fried green tomatoes is just one of those things.
I’m already craving them again!

6 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to be able to say that I saw that movie too!! That's unusual since I haven't seen most movies. I think I read the book but I'm not sure. Dang it's a bummer when the memory starts to go!

    But, I've never eaten fried green tomatoes. What's sprinkled on top of them in your photo? Just curious. I don't do much cooking so I probably won't be making them.

    My mom was in the kitchen all the time. Just to be different and difficult, I avoid the kitchen. Why shut my mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaddy - I'm not real big on cooking either, especially since it's just for me. I do like cookbooks though - go figure.
    Fried green tomatoes are so simple to do. There are lots of different ways to fix them. I just slice a green tomato, dredge the slices in flour, dip them in beaten egg, then roll them in fine ground corn meal, fry them in a little veg. oil until brown, then sprinke them with salt, parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper.
    Not everyone likes them, but I do declare I've takin' a real likin' to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried Green Tomatoes are real popular in our neck of the woods...so are deep frid dill pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian - I had fried dill pickles with cucumber ranch dressing for dipping, for the first time a few months ago, at a restaurant in Arkansas. Sooo yummy! Who'd a thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the movie but have never tried them. Not sure you can even GET green tomatoes in Oregon! (Except in my garden, but they're the itty bitty cherry ones). Sounds like they would be good. But fried dill pickles - no way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parrot, I thought the same thing about the fried dill pickles for years. Then some friends I was having dinner with convinced me to try them, and I was shocked at how good they were!

    ReplyDelete