Thursday, July 15, 2010

Another Walking Story

After work last night I went walking at my standard go-to trail at Haikey Creek Park. The temperature was around 95 with more than 50% humidity, making the heat index hotter-than-hell degrees Fahrenheit. There were several people on the trails, quite a few of them running. I am not a runner but I have to admit I was impressed with their dedication. I’ve said that I wouldn’t run unless a serial killer was chasing me. Even then I would have to stop and gauge what kind of day I was having and how badly I wanted to live. But, maybe someday--

Whenever crossing paths with other walkers or joggers I smile and say ‘hi’ if they make eye contact. Most respond in kind, or even initiate the greeting. I’ve noticed that other women walkers will sometimes start a brief conversation without breaking stride. Here’s one I had Sunday morning:
Me: “Hi.”
Lady carrying a stick: “Hi. I’ve got my stick in case a man pops out of all this underbrush.”
Me: “I have my keys ready to gouge an eye.” Chuckle
Lady carrying stick: “It can get scary back in this area.”
Me: “It sure can.” The last two sentences were hurled over our shoulders as we strode away from each other.

Conversation from yesterday’s walk:
Lady in her 30’s: “Hi.” Panting.
Me: “Hi.” Not panting!-and this was close to the end of my trip. Oh yeah, I rule.
Lady in 30’s: “Omigod, it’s so hot out here.”
Me: “What were we thinking, huh?” Chuckle
Lady: Smiled weakly

I used to think everyone who passed me on the trail was thinking, 'Please don't make me try to remember my CPR training.' When I passed Lady-in-30's, I thought the same thing. I don't think I have that effect on my fellow walkers anymore. Now that's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment