Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Day at the Museum

Today I enjoyed a visit to the Philbrook Museum. In 1938 Waite Phillips gave his 72-room mansion and surrounding 23 acres of grounds as an art center for the city of Tulsa. The Italian Renaissance style mansion itself is a beautiful work of art. Add to that the very impressive permanent collection of artworks, special travelling exhibits, and breathtaking gardens, and you have a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Currently the travelling exhibit is "To Live Forever; Egyptian Treasures", from the Brooklyn Museum. It was amazing to actually stand and look at vessels, jewelry and other objects created thousands of years ago.

As a good museum goer, I did not take pictures inside the museum, but I put my little point and shoot camera to work when touring the grounds. Here are a few of those shots.

5 comments:

  1. This is stunning! I can only imagine what the inside must look like! Thank you for sharing the web site.
    I'm currently trying to design a novel based on a home turned museum with lots of landscaping. I appreciate looking at beautiful places like this. The starting summary of the story is on my blog on March 12th - Under Its a Mystery to Me Acts 1-3, if you haven't been looking at my site that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure is pretty, even the kitty in the last picture is enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine living in such a place?

    I can't say enough about people like Waite Phillips who leave their possessions for the rest of us to enjoy.

    I bet the rooms inside were out of this world.

    I was blown away when I toured 2 of the Newport Mansions in Rhode Island a few years ago. It's a real treat to get a peek into the lives of the rich and famous.

    Have a great Sunday and a great upcoming week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parrot - I looked at your posts. I'm impressed with your undertaking such a project. When I took Anne's BWW class, I found myself obsessing for days on end over some of the simplest short projects. Just about drove myself nuts! I'm glad some people can handle it or we wouldn't have much to read. :) Keep up the good work!

    Brian, I think that kitty really appreciated the fact that his people worked so diligently to give him a nice place to lounge.

    Shaddy - I know what you mean. I said the same thing to a lady who was visiting the museum at the same time, and her reply was, "No, I can't imagine living in this place without air conditioning like they did." Well, okay. I smiled at her and moved on.
    I'm so grateful for the tremendously generous philanthropic families we have here. If not for them we wouldn't have all the great museums, parks, libraries, performing art centers, and so many other benefits that we enjoy because of them.
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love the picture of the kitty just taking it all in...

    ReplyDelete