Saturday, June 26, 2010

Riding in the Way-Back Machine

“Brandy” by Looking Glass is one of my all time favorite songs. Every time it comes on the radio, I’m transported back to my happy teenage place. Not the awkward, embarrassing, inferiority complex laden moments of those years, but back to the fun, free, light times. I recently heard my time-travel song while driving home from work. The fact that it still comes on the radio as frequently as it does--after 38 years--makes me think it must have a similar effect on lots of other people.
When I got home I looked through a stack of old albums, and found it. I found several other good albums like Elton John’s “Yellow Brick Road”, Chicago, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, America and others. I don’t have a turntable to listen to them on, but I can’t seem to let go of them either. I guess I don’t have to be able to listen to them; I feel a little younger just looking through them. Can you dig it?


2 comments:

  1. I went to YouTube and listened to Brandy; it had been way too long since I heard it.

    I remember loving that song in my younger days as you did.

    Songs have a way of taking us back to times in the past in a way that nothing else can. I'm amazed that I remember the lyrics of songs I sang along to forty years ago!

    Yes, I dig what you're saying, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom and Dad said they remember those...and lots from way before that too. Their wayback machine must have been pulled by horses!

    ReplyDelete