Thursday, June 17, 2010

Out with the Old, In with the New

   
The Hotel Phillips in Bartlesville, OK has closed its doors after almost six decades. It was the required hotel for visiting out-of-town employees of the oil company where I work (at the moment). But now there's a new, bigger, better hotel located next door to our office complex. The Hilton Garden Inn is the new required hotel for our company.
From comments by some of those fellow employees and some of the reviews I've seen, it may have been time for her to take a break; she was getting worn out and run down. The good news for the Hotel Phillips? There are plans for the 144 hotel rooms to be converted to 80 to 90 apartments for renters over 55-years of age, with 20 percent of the units available to "lower income seniors." That sounds like a nice and fitting way for the old hotel to go into semi-retirement; an encore career of sorts for her.

Everything changes. The best we can hope is that most of the changes are positive. That's my hope for this historic building.
Hmm, I wonder what in my life needs to be retired, or even better, re-purposed.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the change is good too...but I don't cope to well with change at all...pretty stressful for us.

    ReplyDelete