Monday, August 2, 2010

2010 Tulsa Memory Walk

Okay, it's time for me to do something good, for someone besides me, with all this walking I've been doing. I believe I am prepared for the 2010 Tulsa Memory Walk on August 28th. The objective is to raise awareness and money for The Alzheimer's Association,  a health organization funding Alzheimer care, support and research.

I have a friend, a  beautiful young lady, whose once vivacious mother was diagnosed with Early On-set Alzheimer's a few years ago. Her mother is only in her mid-fifties and already attends an elder-care day facility because she can't care for herself while her husband goes to work all day. My friend picks up her little boy from his daycare center after work each day and then goes to gather her mom from her day care facility and delivers her back home. Her mother enjoys the people and activities at the center, but it won't be much longer before she will need 24/7 care. The family has begun the search for a long-term care facility.

Alzheimer's is a heartbreaking disease, a most insidious thief. There is no cure yet, nor known causes, for this disease. Much research is still needed.

A few weeks ago, I was moved to tears as I watched a segment on CBS Sunday Morning, called Jan's Story. It's the story of a lovely woman with early on-set Alzheimer's, beautifully and intimately told by her devoted husband. Click here if you would like to see it.  I couldn't help but think of my friend and her mother as I watched.

So many of us have been impacted by this disease, in one way or another, and I hope and pray it will be eradicated one day soon.

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to donate $10 to help you meet or exceed your target pledge quota. You can send your mailing address to me at paintit2@charter.net.

    My mother-in-law had Alzheimer's disease so I know how devastating it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jana - I'm in for $10 too. Send your address to me at mcmannls@msn.com My mom has Alzheimers and it is truely the hardest thing to watch her decline. She is fine physically at this point, but mentally not so. Thanks for taking the initiative to walk for this cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaddy and Parrot--
    Bless your sweet hearts. I struggled with putting the link for my donation page here on the blog. I didn't want anyone to feel obligated. But, since you asked - and I am so grateful - here is the URL where you can easily donate.
    https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=339777&supId=298282566

    Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, we're in too, thanks for stepping forward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian and Sisters - Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete